Tips on Cleaning Your Xerox Production Printers
Xerox commercial production printers are powerful machines capable of fulfilling an array of commercial printing jobs. However, these machines must be cared for to ensure that they continue operating at the highest possible level.
One of the most important parts of caring for a Xerox production printer is proper cleaning techniques.
While the cleaning process for a given model will vary slightly, there are a few standard cleaning techniques that should be carried out monthly to ensure proper device functioning and a safe office environment.
Here we provide you with a quick step-by-step guide on cleaning your Xerox production printers, so that they are sure to continue functioning at the best possible level far into the future.
Step 1: Gather Your Materials and Prep Your Printer for Cleaning
To clean your Xerox printer properly, you will need the following materials:
- Latex gloves or similar
- Alcohol cleaning wipes
- Several microfiber soft cloths
- Rubbing alcohol
- A bucket of water
- Optional face mask if you want to avoid fumes
Note: Never use paper towels to clean a printer, as they may scratch or damage the machine.
Once you have gathered your materials, it’s time to prep you machine for cleaning.
- Switch off the power button
- Disconnect it from the power outlet
- Remove all trays and other model-specific add-ons
Step 2: Clean Your Printer’s Paper Path and Paper Rollers
The first parts of your printer that need cleaning are the paper path and rollers. These parts are typically the culprit for ink stains and smears during printing. Reference your user guide to identify where these parts are located on your specific model.
- Use your alcohol wipes to clean these components
- Simply wipe down the paper path and find the rollers and wipe each a few times
- You will likely need a few wipes to get each roller clean
- Use your microfiber or soft cloth to wipe off any residue alcohol or grime
Note: Avoid using any hard tool to scrape clean any part of the printer—this could easily damage your model.
Step 3: Clean Your Media Tray
Locate your media tray next. This part of the printer is typically responsible for paper jams, so keeping it clean and tidy will help limit this type of issue. Follow the same steps you used to clean your paper path and rollers.
Step 4: Clean Any Interior Parts that Are Easily Accessible
It is important that you avoid wetting the internal components of your printer. Instead take an alcohol wipe and wipe down any easily accessible interior parts of your printer. Use a new cloth to dry these areas once cleaning has been completed.
Step 5: Clean All the Printer’s Surfaces
Keeping the surfaces of your printer clean is just as important as the machines inner components. Clean surfaces not only decrease the potential to spread harmful germs around the office, but also keep your printer looking pristine.
- When cleaning surfaces, use a mixture of water (about 30%) and rubbing alcohol (about 70%).
- Don’t clean your printer’s display screens or control panel just yet, only the surfaces
- Dip your soft cloth in the mixture and rub down all of the machine’s surfaces
- Dry the surfaces by wiping them down with a dry soft cloth
Step 6: Clean Your Printer’s Display Screen and Control Panel
Your printer’s display screen and control panel should be cleaned using alcohol cleaning wipes. Using the water-alcohol mixture could get these components too wet and potentially damage the printer.
- Wipe down the display screen in one direction (top-to-bottom, left-to-right, etc.)
- Clean any buttons with your wipes
- Dry the display screen with your soft cloth in the same direction that you initially cleaned
- Dry any buttons
Step 7: Check the Machine to Ensure Dryness
Check the interior and exterior for any wetness prior to plugging the printer back into your power supply. If any components are still wet, dry them off with your soft cloth before proceeding.
Step 8: Reboot the Machine and Check for Any Software Updates
Once you have checked your printer to ensure dryness you can re-assemble any components you previously removed.
- Plug in the machine
- Power it on
- Check for a software update
- Since you are already cleaning your printer, this is a perfect time to ensure that it is also up to date. If a software update is available, download and install.
Monitor and Enjoy
Now that your printer is sparkling clean, it is crucial that you keep it that way. Conduct a full interior and exterior cleaning every month and be sure to wipe down frequently touched surfaces daily.
For a complete Xerox printer cleaning, you can contact your provider to schedule service. X-Digital has a full team of dedicated printer specialists on hand to service your Xerox printer. Get in touch today to learn more!
Professional Document Solutions. How to Clean and Maintain Your Xerox Multi-functional Printer. https://www.pds-co.com/how-to-clean-and-maintain-your-xerox-multifunction-printer-its-easy/
Xerox. Xerox Print Devices Cleaning Guidance. https://www.xerox.com/en-us/about/how-to-clean-printers