Why Preventative Maintenance is Important for SMBs
For many small businesses (SMB), finding ways to cut costs and still deliver results is essential for driving growth. What you may not realize is that your printing is probably costing more than it should if you’ve been neglecting preventative maintenance.
Driving those costs down isn’t as difficult as you might think, and may be as simple as creating a regular maintenance schedule.
Why Bother With Preventative Maintenance?
Preventative maintenance is important for businesses of all sizes, but especially small businesses. Here’s why preventative maintenance is important:
- Increased Longevity – Your equipment will last longer if you perform proper maintenance on it. Preventative maintenance helps your machine operate efficiently, decreasing the wear and tear on each individual component. Across the lifespan of your machine that means that your printer keeps producing prints longer than an equivalent printer operated with a “run it until it breaks” mentality.
- Maximize Return on Investment – For small businesses with even moderately demanding printing environments, their chosen printing solution can represent a significant source of capital investment. Maximizing the return realized on that investment is key, which is why preventive maintenance for printer is so important. Preventative maintenance ensures that you get the most prints for each dollar you invested into your printing solution. It’s that simple.
- Increased Productivity – Preventative maintenance ensures that your printing solution is available when you need it. With a preventative maintenance plan in place you’ll experience less system downtime due to major repairs. Ensuring your printing system is clean and free from debris will also ensure you’re producing prints at rated speeds, which gives you better visibility into productivity.
- Consistency – If you want consistently clear, crisp print quality then preventative maintenance is the solution. A key component of preventative maintenance is ensuring your system’s print path is clean and free from debris. This also ensures you’ll catch anything that could impact your prints early, so you’ll get consistently great print quality.
- Less Waste – A well-maintained printer operates as efficiently as it was designed to do, which means you’ll experience less wasted consumables like toner and paper. That can add up to big cost savings over time, and lead to the lowest price-per-print possible.
Cost Savings Potential
The savings you realize through preventative maintenance for printers will vary for everyone. It can be difficult to quantify because it changes over time, and is influenced by a variety of factors such as the specific system you have, how long you’ve owned it, how it was used, how it was maintained, whether any major component failures have occurred, and many more factors.
While it can be challenging to understand exactly how much preventative maintenance is saving you, it is important to keep in mind that preventative maintenance is one of the few ways that equipment owners can manage the cost of their system over time. Preventative maintenance has a known cost associated with it, for spare parts, consumables, and cleaning supplies. This gives small business owners greater visibility into their printing usage and expenses over time.
Implementing a preventative maintenance program for their printing solution gives small businesses the ability to better understand and manage their printing costs over the entire lifecycle of their printer. Small business owners can identify potential component failures earlier and plan for those expenses. At the same time, anticipating and proactively addressing component failures decreases downtime and boosts productivity.
For savings and convenience, learn about how printer maintenance kits can simplify your machine’s maintenance.
Identifying Replacement Timelines
If you’re a small business owner, you’ll probably want to get a rough idea for how often you have to replace specific items on your Xerox printing system.
Since it’s difficult to provide an estimate for all systems, we’ll outline what type of consumable replacement schedule you could expect for the Xerox Altalink C8000 Series Multifunction Printers. The Xerox C8000 series is a great choice for small businesses, with exceptional print speeds and quality, and widely available refurbished options that help bring the capital costs down. Replacing consumables is a necessary aspect of laser printer preventative maintenance, and it’s a good idea to have an understanding of the consumable replacement schedule for your system.
- Toner – For the C8000 series the standard capacity toner cartridge yields between 15,000 – 26,000 prints before it must be replaced.
- Drum Cartridge – Expect to replace the drum cartridge on the C8000 series every 160,000 prints, or about once every 8 toner cartridge replacements.
- Second Bias Transfer Roll – 200,000 print lifecycle.
- Transfer Belt Cleaner – 160,000 print lifecycle.
The actual timeline for replacement will depend on how hard you are using your system. For example, the Altalink C8030 has a monthly print volume of 12,000 pages. If your office is printing at that volume, you could expect to replace the toner every two months, the drum kit and transfer belt cleaner every 13 months, and the second bias transfer roll every 16 months. As part of your laser printer maintenance checklist, it’s a good idea to include consumable replacement timelines and keep consumables you replace more frequently on-site.
Proper printer and copier maintenance involves much more than clearing the occasional paper jam and wiping up paper dust– it means replacing components on-time. Preventative maintenance offers one of the most effective ways for SMBs to drive down their printing costs. With a preventative maintenance program in place, you’ll experience less major component failures, less system downtime for repairs, better quality prints, and more consistent prints over time. Importantly, proper maintenance enables SMBs to more accurately anticipate and manage the cost of maintaining their print system over time.
Are you interested in becoming proficient in maintaining your Xerox printer but aren’t sure where to start? Contact our team at X-Digital! With decades of experience servicing, selling, and refurbishing Xerox production printing systems, we can help you find the right preventative maintenance solution for your needs.
To get started, contact us today!
- “14 TLC maintenance tips to keep your printer in tip top shape” https://www.xerox.com/en-us/office/insights/printer-maintenance
- “Preventative Printer Maintenance” https://digital-print-media.com/preventative-printer-maintenance/
- “Digital Printing Press Maintenance Best Practices” https://www.heatpressnation.com/blogs/blog/digital-printing-press-maintenance-best-practices